To make a long story short, we just figure some of you out there are as bored as we are.

Thursday, August 2, 2007

it's pretty, but is it art?

I have always been fascinated by well executed trickery, especially in the form of art forgery. This Orson Welles documentary about Elmyr de Hory is my favorite Netflix rental thus far. F For Fake views more as an avante garde art film than a documentary, and the film itself presents some tricks of its own. Welles explores authenticity through a story of the jet-set mid-1970s art world- you know I'm down...
To quote Sean Gilder (I believe during the Martin Venezky talk at Biggin Hall, may it rest in peace) "As graphic designers, we are taught to steal." At the time we all snickered because Sean was admitting to unoriginality at an art talk Q&A with a "rockstar" status designer and every professor in the design department. But in hindsight I get where he was going with his statement. Originality is dead (duh), but through my being thrown into the world of advertising (a place I never though I would end up), I have become hyper aware of, lets call them "trends" in advertising.
This is an article that categorizes our options. What is more important? Originality or using methods that people are accustomed to so it makes sense for them? Even when the creative worlds tries out something new, everyone jumps on board (when it works). If I hear the words "viral video" one more time I'll puke. At this point, you are thinking, "what the hell does all of this have to do with some forged Picassos?" Well friend, not a lot- I tend to digress.
So uh, watch these cause they're funny: 1, 2, 3. (yeah, I just linked youtube videos...hurl). And to get back to the point, be sure to check out the guacamole at Elmyr in five points Atlanta if you ever get the chance...best I've ever had.



2 comments:

sally said...

That guacamole is really fucking amazing

kat said...

You've impressed Daniel immensely by having watched F is for Fake, also the guinea pig video = my favorite.